July brings us summer fun, filled with vacations, family reunions, and picnics! Over the years, we’ve learned how important picnic selections can be, ensuring food safety eating outside in warm weather. Harvard University’s Nutrition Source advises we should choose foods that can remain outside for several hours, such as firm vegetables chopped fruit, whole grains, pasta salad, beans, and trail mix. For this month’s recipe choice, “Cowboy Caviar” fits the bill for safe picnic fun. As always, enjoy!
3 Roma tomatoes, diced.
2 ripe avocados, diced.
1/3 cup red onion, diced.
15oz black beans, drained
15oz black eyed peas, drained
1-½ cups frozen corn, thawed
1 pepper- ½ red/green, diced.
1 Jalapeno seeded/diced.
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tsp sugar
½ Tsp salt
½ Tsp pepper
¼ Tsp garlic powder
Directions (serves 12)
- Combine tomatoes, avocado, onion, black beans, black eyed peas, corn, pepper, jalapeno pepper, and cilantro in a large bowl. Toss/stir well so that ingredients are well-combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- Pour dressing over other ingredients and stir/toss very well.
- Keep refrigerated. If not serving immediately, be sure to toss/stir well before serving.
- Serve with tortilla chips, if desired.
Calories: 214, Carbohydrates: 23g, Protein: 6g, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 248mg, Potassium: 490mg, Fiber: 8g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 585IU, Vitamin C: 22.9mg, Calcium: 29mg, Iron: 2.1mg
Note: Calories do not include tortilla chips
Recipe courtesy of: https://www.spendwithpennies.com/cowboy-caviar/