Eating vegetarian meals may be healthy, but it definitely isn’t always popular. That’s why, as a leader in a health care setting, it’s crucial for you to support your foodservice staffs as they attempt to make healthy, vegetarian meals as delicious and appealing as possible – and that includes being willing to try new things. Your patients’ health and satisfaction, and your cost-efficiency and HCAHPS scores, depend on it!
Break In New Breakfast Ideas
Pastries, waffles, pancakes, toast, bagels, and other easy breakfast staples are filled with nothing but sugar and empty calories, leaving your patients’ bodies wanting more. So, why not try something new and fresh?
- Stewed Peppers and Tomatoes with Eggs is a hearty start, offering robust flavors and plenty of protein to keep your patients full until their next meal.
- Scrambled Egg Tacos are the easier-to-make relatives of the breakfast burrito. Trade in flour tortillas for veggie-made alternatives and add plenty of eggs, fresh salsa, black beans, herbs, and a fresh yogurt and lime “dressing” to carry all the flavors and nutrients together in a perfect little vegetarian taco your patients won’t be able to get enough of.
- Fritters are a favorite food for a lot of people, so why not offer a breakfast version? They’re easy to make and you can use whatever fresh vegetables, fruits, and ingredients you already have on hand. From Spiced Carrot Fritters, to Green Breakfast Fritters made with yogurt, fresh herbs, and plenty of greens, they will quickly become a must-order item in your kitchen.
Eliminate Lunchtime Laziness
Are your patients tired of the same lunches, or skipping their midday meal entirely? If so, it may be time to shake things up with some enticing new vegetarian flavors they won’t be able to resist!
- Spicy Kale and Coconut Fried Rice is a fried rice alternative that is light yet packed with nutrients to keep your patient population energized and on the right track to better health.
- Crunchy Thai Peanut & Quinoa Salad is another hearty lunch option. Packed with whole grains and fresh Asian inspired flavors, this is one vegetarian option that even the pickiest eaters can enjoy.
- Vegetarian Chili is common, easy to make recipe that is perfect for any afternoon meal. It’s a recipe that can be tailored to the ingredients your staff already has on hand, yet no matter what you end up with it’s always delicious. It can even be frozen and saved for later.
Daring New Dinners
Want to be able to offer your patients more than just veggie burgers and salad for dinner? The possibilities really are endless.
- Spaghetti Squash with Lentils and Marinara is a hearty meal for anyone who loves pasta but is looking for a lighter, healthier alternative without compromising on flavor.
- Potsticker Stir-Fry is a meatless main course that can be made in less than 30 minutes, and is just as fresh and filling as it is easy to make.
- Broth-Based Soups & Stews are perfect to wind down a evening when your patients are not feeling quite as hungry. Broth based soups are still packed with vitamins and healthful ingredients, while stews provide a nice balance between healthy and hearty.
- Rotating Flatbreads are wonderful to make when you need to use what you have yet still offer something delicious and full of flavor. From fresh Mediterranean-inspired flatbreads, to reimagining’s of classic Italian favorites, you won’t be able to go wrong.
The most important thing to remember is to be open and help your staff maintain creativity in the kitchen. Possible ingredient combinations are bountiful, you simply have to find out what works best for your unique patients!
If you need additional support, Vision Software and our array of impressively innovative food service software applications will always be here for you! Call 629.777.8989, or fill in the free consultation form in the sidebar, to learn more about how Vision Software can positively impact the lives of the patients and visitors you service every day.