August is upon us, reminder us there are those warm “dog days of summer” to look forward to. We find all types of berries plentiful, as well as stone fruits (peaches, nectarines, plums, etc.) for picking. The French bring us a rustic open pie dessert, known as a galette. The galette is a pleasant and lighter pie, showing the filling, cooking much quicker than a regular pie. We think you’ll enjoy this recipe, and as always, enjoy!
Strawberry Peach Galette
1-½ cup all-purpose flour
Add’l flour for work surface
2 Tbsp granulated sugar.
¼ Tsp salt
½ c cold unsalted butter, cube
Egg wash (1 large egg with I Tbsp milk)
Coarse sugar, optional
1-½ cup fresh peaches, sliced
1-½ cup fresh strawberries, sliced
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 Tsp cornstarch
1 Tsp pure vanilla extract
Instructions – for the Crust:
- Whisk the flour, sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl. Using a pastry cutter or a couple forks, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse pea-sized crumbs. Add the water and stir until the flour is moistened. Add 1 more Tablespoon of water if the dough seems dry.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and, using your hands, work the dough into a ball. Flatten it into a thick disk. Wrap the dough disk in plastic wrap, parchment paper, or aluminum foil and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days (or freeze up to 3 months).
Instructions – for the Strawberry Peach Filling
- Gently toss filling ingredients together in a medium bowl until combined. Cover and refrigerate until step 4
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Make sure you have enough room in your refrigerator for the baking sheet because the shaped galette must chill in step 6.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle. Doesn’t have to be perfectly shaped. Trim the rim of the circle to make a clean cut if desired. Transfer dough to the prepared baking sheet. (You can also roll the dough right out onto the parchment paper or silicone baking mat that you are using to line the baking pan. If doing so, lightly flour the parchment paper or silicone baking mat.)
- Spoon the fruit (discard any juices) into the center of the dough, leaving a 2–3-inch border all around. Gently fold the edges of the dough over the filling, overlapping the dough as necessary. Press gently to seal the edges. Brush the crust edges generously with egg wash and sprinkle the crust with coarse sugar, if desired.
- Refrigerate the shaped galette for at least 15-20 minutes as the oven preheats (next step) and up to 8 hours. If refrigerating for longer than 1-2 hours, cover it lightly. The galette will lose shape if it’s not cold.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (190°C). Bake galette until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown, about 30-35 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Cover and store leftover galette in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Recipe courtesy of: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/strawberry-peach-galette/print/76282/