In honor of the LA Rams’ Super Bowl victory.
Although the French Dip Sandwich is not French, the inventor, Philippe Mathieu was. In 1918, Philippe owned the still existing deli and sandwich shop, Philippe the Original, in LA. It is one of LA’s oldest restaurants still in business.
4 Lb. Beef Sirloin Roast
½ Cup coarse Black Pepper
8 French Rolls
Drippings from roast Beef
1 10.5 oz can Beef Stock or Broth
Salt & Pepper to taste
French Dip Sandwich Directions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place beef roast onto a rack in a shallow baking pan; firmly press pepper onto roast.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 to 45 minutes or until roast’s temperature registers 135F. Let stand 15 minutes & slice thinly.
- Reserve the beef juices and pour into a medium saucepan. Prepare Dipping Sauce.
- For each sandwich: Cut French rolls in half lengthwise. Toast & butter each roll. Layer ½ pound of sliced beef on bottom slice of each roll; place remaining tops of rolls on top of the beef.
- Slice sandwiches in half and serve on individual plates with a small bowl (1/4 cup) of hot Dipping Sauce.
Dipping Sauce Directions
- In a medium saucepan, add beef juices, beef broth, water, salt, and pepper; bring just to a boil. Turn off the heat, cover saucepan, and let sit 10 minutes before serving.