It’s pumpkin season – yay for October! In many parts of the country, pumpkins not only represent Halloween. but wonderful harvest dishes! We think you’ll find this lighter version of a pumpkin roll totally delicious, and as always, enjoy!
Lightened-Up Pumpkin Roll
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
¼ tsp ground allspice
¼ tsp salt
3 large eggs
¾ cup sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin
¼ cup xxx sugar
6 oz light cream cheese, soft
¾ cup powdered sugar
6oz Fat Free Greek Yogurt
½ cup walnuts (optional)
1 tsp vanilla
Powdered Sugar (optional)
Instructions – Pumpkin Roll:
- Preheat oven to 375°F & place oven rack in the center of the oven. Spray a 15 x 10-inch baking pan with non-stick spray, line with parchment paper, then spray a little more non-stick spray and lightly flour parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, allspice, and salt into a large bowl.
- Beat eggs & sugar together with electric or hand mixer. Beat on high speed for five minutes, or until thick, pale yellow, and fluffy. (When you slowly raise the beaters, the batter will fall back into the bowl in slow ribbons.)
- Beat in the vanilla extract and pumpkin puree.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in the sifted flour mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, evenly spreading the cake batter with a spatula or knife.
- Bake 13-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake, when lightly pressed, springs back.
- Sprinkle a clean dish towel with powdered sugar.
- Immediately upon removing the cake from the oven, invert the pumpkin roll onto the dish towel. Carefully remove the parchment paper from the bottom of the cake and sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar; roll the pumpkin roll up with the towel, while it is still hot and pliable. Place on a wire rack to cool.
Instructions – Filling:
- Beat the cream cheese, yogurt, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat until smooth; fold in the walnuts. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
Instructions – Assembly:
- Unroll the pumpkin roll, spread with the filling, and re-roll. Transfer to your serving platter; cover and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. (You can serve this cake immediately but chilling it overnight sets the filling and makes it easier to slice.)
- Just before serving, lightly dust with powdered sugar.
Nutrition – Serving: 3/4″ slice (1/13 of cake)
Calories: 198kcal, Carbohydrates: 42.5g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 0.5g, Cholesterol: 42mg, Sodium: 134mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 21g